Why study Hospitality?
Hospitality focuses on providing customer service. Skills learned can be transferred across a range of industries. Workplaces for which Hospitality competencies are required include cafes, catering organisations and resorts.
Working in the hospitality industry involves:
• supporting and working with colleagues to meet goals and provide a high level of customer service
• developing menus, managing resources, preparing, cooking and serving a range of dishes
• providing food and beverage service in a range of settings
• providing house keeping and front office services in hotels, motels, resorts and other hospitality establishments
• planning and organising events and managing services
Samples of occupations students can aim for in the hospitality industry:
• events coordinator
• bar assistant
• food & beverage manager
• reservations clerk
• guest service coordinator